Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Plagues Hit Our House

Well it has been a very long month for us at the Storms household. School started in September which means that I went back to teaching and Jaxon started daycare for the first time. I am teaching in a new school which introduces me, and my family, to a whole new population of germs. Add to that the new germs from Jaxon's daycare experiences and you have one very sick family.

The first round was a type of flu virus. Jaxon was sick for a few days with puking and diarrhea. A day later it hit mommy then daddy. Two days later it hit both grandmas who came in to support the sick parents. A week later it hit grandpa. It was bad.

Next round was a yucky cold bug. Jaxon was sick quite a while and is just now looking back to normal. I was hit pretty bad. I lost my voice and developed a bad cough and severe throat pain. I am still feeling the effects 2 weeks later but I have improved greatly since the beginning. Drew has just now gotten sick, though not as intensely as I was, he is still fighting it.

Round 3 was in the middle of the round 2. Jaxon developed an eye infection. Possibly pink eye. He went on eye drop antibiotics and it cleared up pretty quickly. Three to four days later I developed some symptoms in my eye but I used the medication before it could get too bad. It went away.

The final round (so far) was that at one of our many doctor's appointments this month Jaxon was diagnosed with an ear infection. It was a secondary bacterial infection that probably came from the primary cold viral infection. Translation: too much snot for the body to handle. :) Anyway...they put him on antibiotics for that. On the second day of giving him medicine he begun the puking and diarrhea again. It was a Saturday (of course) so we had to take him to urgent care. Unfortunately the two places we went to would not see infants/toddlers so we ended up having to go to the hospital. The emergency room doctor took a look at him and saw no ear infection and took him off the antibiotics which he thought caused the stomach issues. Ughh...

Took him back to the doctor a week later for an ear check (just to be safe) and she could not see his ear drums due to all the wax build up. There was no way the ER doctor could make that call. We have to give him ear drops all this week to loosen up the wax and return on Saturday for another ear check. I hope that all is well in there.

Here's hoping that we have built up our immune system already and that was the worst of our cold/flu season.

No comments: