Sunday, March 1, 2009

My First Attempt at Homemade Baby Food for Jaxon

Tonight I decided to get started making food for Jaxon. Up until this point I had been feeding him the Happy Babies Organic Frozen baby food. A good second place but I wanted to do what I had always intended which was make his food. So I got out the Beaba Babycook and some yams and I went to work.





You may wonder why I want to do this when there is so many pre-made varieties of baby food out on the market. To sum up my very lengthy research on this topic my main reasons are:

1. It is cheaper. For 30 minutes a week I can make him a whole week's worth of dinners for the cost of 2-3 pieces of fruits and veggies.

2. I know what he is eating. I know that it is organic and wholesome. No pesticides or other chemicals in it. No additives like starch or water to save costs. No preservatives to lengthen shelf life. No added colors to make it attractive.

3. It has a better or more realistic taste and texture. It will make his transition to real food that much easier because he will be used to it. He is eating real food just blended up.

4. I feel like I am doing something positive for him. I am putting my time, energy, and love into his meals. He will see me in the kitchen making his food and will understand that foods come from fresh sources not from jars or boxes.

I will be following multiple sources for solid food introduction. I waited until he was 6 months as recommended. We started with veggies first and then introduced a fruit. He has had peas, carrots, squash, and apples. Oh and he has had banana in his teething mesh feeder. Tonight he will try yams. They say to start veggies first so they don't prefer sweet tasting stuff and reject the veggies. The funny thing is that Jaxon likes the veggies more. In particular he likes peas and squash the most. He is also eating oatmeal, actually oatmeal mixed with apples. Later this week we will introduce avocado.

I am really enjoying this phase. It is so fun to get to feed him now.

No comments: