Monday, November 24, 2008

Eczema Dilemma

Jaxon has had a rash on his left cheek for about a month now. His pediatrician originally thought it was a drool rash at his 3 month well-baby check up due to the VAST amounts of drool he was oozing (see previous Spit Posts for evidence).

Over the last week however, my little guy's cheek has progressively gotten worse to the point where it has cracked and is bleeding a little. Also I started to notice more rash areas today on his chest and in his diaper area (places his drool aren't getting to). I don't want it to get to that level on his other body parts and I am obviously concerned about the intensity of his cheek since now it seems to be itching because Jaxon keeps rubbing his hand over it. I thought maybe it is eczema so today I called my pediatrician for an appointment and she was able to get us in.

After examining his cheek and other areas she decided it wasn't a drool rash and probably was a form of eczema or other rash possibly brought on by food allergies in my diet. I am going to try eliminating nuts and peanut butter from my diet to see if it helps. He was also prescribed a cortisone cream with anti-fungal and anti-bacterial ingredients. We will try that for ten days and eliminating foods from my diet and see if it helps.

I wonder where he gets this sensitive skin from (tongue in cheek)? His daddy had something similar on his arms a couple of years ago. We will just have to watch Jaxon carefully so his cheek doesn't get worse or infected.

No comments: