Saturday, December 13, 2008

18 Weeks/4 Month Update

I took Jaxon in today for his 4 month well baby check up. All is well. We discussed my breastfeeding/pumping goals (6 months or longer), obstacles at work, and ideas for making it less stressful so that I will/can continue. We talked about his food allergy/eczema issues (better but still popping up occasionally). Then we weighed and measured him. Here are his 4 month stats:

Weight: 14 pounds 9 ounces 25th-50th%
Height: 25.25 inches/64 cm 50th-75th%
Head Circumference: 17 inches/43 cm 75th%

He also received his second round of the DTaP and PC Immunizations. He was pretty upset by the shots and was a little cranky when we got home but then he and I went and took a 2.5 hour nap together and he woke up happy again. That reminds me...we discussed his sleeping habits. He was sleeping about 6-7 hours straight at night starting at around 8 p.m. and was only waking up once to eat in the middle of the night (totally manageable) but since I have been at work he as been not going to sleep until 10 p.m. and has been restlessly sleeping and waking up often though not to eat. He still only eats once a night. She said this could be because he wants more mommy cuddle time or because of teething or because of trying to master new developmental skills like sitting up or crawling or all three at once. It is fairly common at four months to go through a sleep regression. She suggested returning to co-sleeping since he has been in his crib. We are thinking about it but will see how the next couple of weeks go.

Finally she said to wait to start solids until 6 months to prevent food allergies. She says this to all her patients (and it is the APA recommendation) but she really suggested it for Jaxon since he seems to already have reactions to food in my breast milk. So I will have to wait to try my baby food making skills for a couple more months. I am so excited to try out my new Beaba Babycook that Shirley got Jax and I for Christmas. We also got some organic baby food cook books and a Fresh Baby So Easy baby food making kit but alas we must wait until it is a good time for Jaxon's health to start solids.

I still can't believe he is four months old. Wow!

1 comment:

jp3k said...

[not necessarily Jax relative]

watched THIS, you came to mind. just finished up class presentations of semester projects and it was painfully obvious to me the degree of conformity.