Friday, December 5, 2008

Hi Ho! Hi Ho! It's Off to Work I Go...

This is the end of a very long week. This week I went back to work. On Monday I started back on a non-student staff work day, which was nice because I could plan and get a handle on everything before my students came back on Tuesday. It was so hard to leave Jaxon. I haven't been away from him any longer than one day (in a row) for a maximum of 8 hours (two Seahawks games) so going full time (5 days a week at least 8 hours a day plus commuting) was a bit of a shock. I cried on Saturday, Sunday, and then again while I was driving to work. It was a lot harder than I thought but I knew he was in good hands. His Grandma Shirley came up to stay with us for the week to watch him. She will be doing this for the 3 weeks in December that I work before Winter Break. This is because Drew is working his holiday hours and is unable to take off to watch Jaxon 3 days a week as we plan to do in January (she will watch him the other 2 days until June). We are so grateful that Drew's mom is willing to do this as it not only saves us much needed money but it prevents me from worrying excessively since I know Jaxon is with someone who loves him immensely. I am sad not to spend my days with my son anymore but I am fortunate in that I get breaks in my schedule throughout the year so I will get weeks off with him here and there. So in two weeks I will have two weeks off, then another week off with him in February and the end of March, and finally, summer vacation of course. Not everyone gets this so I should be appreciative of that time.

Another issue with going back to work is the pumping at work to continue breastfeeding. I want to keep breastfeeding him until at least 6 months for several reasons including the health benefits to Jaxon, the intense bonding for us when I get home from work, and the cost (uhhh...can you say free food?). However, it is extremely time consuming at work and I have limited time without my students and that is supposed to be plan time (I am using it to pump). I feel like I am constantly on the go between pumping for 20 minutes 2-3 times a day and then teaching. After 5 days I feel very tired but I think I will get the hang of it eventually and I will learn to use my time wisely so I can plan too. I know it is the best thing to be doing and I want to do it...I just need to adjust to all of the changes and demands now that I am a working mommy.

Finally, Jaxon has had to make some adjustments too. The first day he really didn't eat while I was gone and then ate once an hour until bed to make up for the lost calories when I got home. The next day he ate but then took long naps. Three of the nights he decided to stay up until 10:00 (his normal bedtime is 7:30 or 8:00) I think maybe to see me more but we aren't sure. Either way he has had an interesting week too but I think he did great considering. His Grandma Shirley takes great care of him so I think it has been pretty smooth overall.

At the end of this very long week I can say three things:

1. I miss my baby boy so much while I'm gone it hurts. I wish I could work part time (I do love my job).
2. Thank you Grandma Shirley for watching him for us. We love you lots!
3. My students are great this year (though there are too many of them-class size is large) and I think I will adjust eventually. I just need to learn to balance my two lives better.

I think over time it will get better...I hope!

2 comments:

Shawgil said...

Hi Mel I was in the same boat as you a month ago. It certainly was hard to back to work, because I wanted to spend every minute with Jack, but at the same time I love my teaching job too. It does get a little easier, it just makes the time you get to spend with Jax just more special. I am way more exhausted when I get home, after a full day with kids, just do all your work at school, it's hard to get anything done when you get home.

Don't feel bad pumping at work. You are providing good food for him, and I agree you can't beat free! Keep it up mama!

jp3k said...

ah, ah, ah.....TANSTAAFL ; there ain't no such thing as a free lunch. you have to eat in order to produce the milk....

you will get used to it and get more efficient at balancing bc you are smart ;) --like IE's say, don't work harder, work smarter.

keep up the good work, mama!