Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Let the Potty Training Begin!

Jaxon has been showing some signs that he is interested in potty training and I thought that while I have the summer off we could give it a solid try and see what happens. Well Jaxon is never one to disappoint. He really understands the concept of what the toilet is for. Every time we put him on a real one or his potty training toilet he makes something happen. We went a week straight with no poop in his diaper and only in the toilet which I thought was really impressive. He is still struggling to tell me before he goes but now lets me know during or right after that he needs to go to the potty, which is a huge new development. I think it will be only a few weeks before he starts to understand and tell me before. For now I am putting him on the potty at regular intervals including when he wakes up from sleeping, about 10-15 minutes after each meal or large drink, and about every hour on average. He is already starting to get the routine down and asks to go potty first thing in the morning. I think in the next week we will try some of Dr. Sears tips for PT including "bare-bottom drills".

We are also reading about potty training with an interactive Elmo book and by watching the Elmo Potty Training video. He seems to make the connection that Elmo is telling him about going in the potty.




Another thing I want to do is get him some big boy underwear so he can try them out. They have these really cute Yo Gabba Gabba undies that I think he will love.


I think the most important thing is to make it positive. There will be many mistakes and oopsies but I am just so excited that he is understanding and enjoying it so far. I am so proud of him. He is getting to be such a big boy. Where did my baby go?

No comments: