Monday, February 16, 2009

27 Weeks/6 Months Update

I took Jaxon in today for his 6 month well-baby check-up. Everything seems to be going really well and Jaxon is on track in his growth and development. Here are his current stats (I have to say these are approximations because the child moves so much it is hard to get an accurate measurement in any of these categories):

Weight: 17 pounds (25th-50th% Weight for Age)
Height: 25.6 inches/65 cm (25th-50th% Height for Age)
Weight for Length: 75th%
Head Circumference: 17.7 inches/45 cm (75th-90th% for Age)

We discussed many topics. Here is a summary of each:

1. GOING TO SLEEP: Since our last visit a month ago where we discussed his intense protest at being put to sleep at night (screaming and carrying on) things have improved with her recommendation to breastfeed him to sleep. He goes down gently and easily without any trauma. I was against feeding him to sleep but based on his high needs nature he needs something to focus on enough to let go of the stimulation around him and it is a comforting way for him to transition to sleep. Plus I guess breastmilk has sleep inducing stuff in it (kind of like turkey) and anthropologically speaking...babies naturally go to sleep at the breast. So why fight it? Also his nightly bedtime routine seems to help too. Even naps have become less of an event and he is pretty easy to put down with or without breastfeeding (most of the time). Positive feelings about sleep are very important for me to give Jaxon. I just don't think screaming to sleep is the way to go.

2. STAYING ASLEEP: Well I think he does pretty good and so does our doctor. At night he is in bed by 7 or 7:30 and stays asleep most nights until 2 or 3 so that is 7 or 8 hours straight. I feed him and he sleeps again until 7 or 8 in the morning. I am fine with this schedule.

3. BREASTFEEDING/PUMPING ISSUES:
Since I rearranged my schedule at work I feel much less rushed and stretched for time at work. I feel like I can continue breastfeeding for as long as I want to. I think my new goal (since I met my 6 month goal) is to go until 9 months and reevaluate. Breastfeeding while introducing solids is supposed to be beneficial in terms of preventing food allergies and ensuring that Jaxon gets the proper nutrients.

4. INTRODUCING SOLIDS:
I told her we began rice cereal. She was fine with introducing solids to Jaxon since he can pretty much sit up on his own and seems interested in food. She said to skip rice cereal since it has no nutritional value and move straight into fruits and veggies. She recommended fresh or frozen food over canned or shelf baby food which is what I was thinking anyway. Also she said she preferred glass jars over plastic containers. She said start small and work up the volume. So tonight we will be getting some squash to try I think. :)

5. HEAD SHAPE:
His head shape continues to be a concern. Since I went back to work in December Jaxon and I stopped going to the chiropractor. He still needs therapy for his slight case of Torticollis. His is not very extreme but is still noticeable to the doctor. We will need to take him either to the chiropractor again or to physical therapy. She believes that it is caused from his position in the womb and/or from getting stuck during labor. He just needs that neck muscle to be stretched so that he can align his neck better and thus even out the growth of his head.

6. DEVELOPMENT: He continues to impress her with his energy and strength. He wants to stand all the time and is attempting to crawl. We need to baby proof "very soon" she said since he is propping up his chest with his arms and scooting backwards and sideways. He is very social and happy. No concerns with any of his intellectual, social, or physical milestones.

7. BABYWEARING: I asked about options besides the Baby Bjorn for wearing Jaxon front facing as he is getting very heavy and it is starting to hurt my back. She recommended the ERGO baby carrier. I will look into getting one as soon as I can afford it. Apparently the Baby Bjorn is not good for their hip joint development or mommy's back/spine. Didn't know that. I guess this thing holds them in a different way and allows you to wear them until they are older.

9. VACCINES: We also gave him his final DTaP vaccine. We discussed future vaccines a little. We will go ahead with Polio but need to look into MMR (probably will give but separately) and Chicken Pox (probably not) further. He will not be getting the Flu shot.

10. RASHES: Jaxon's eczema has gone away since I eliminated dairy from my diet. He has no rashes on his body currently which is a huge change from a month ago. :)

Our next well-baby is not until 9 months (though we go in next month for another vaccine appointment). We are now on the 3 month schedule. My how time flies. My baby boy is getting so big!

1 comment:

Debi said...

Hi Melissa Starr! :) I happened upon your blog through myspace, and it is so neat to see the pics of you and your sweet little boy! Also, in reading your current entry, I had to chime in with another vote for the Ergo carrier! I got one when my second child was about 6 months (also had a Bjorn and the thing was killing my shoulders when he got that heavy) - and I swear by it! He will be 3 in April and is about 35 lbs., and I still use the Ergo (on my back) for occasional outings when he tires of walking. It is by far the best baby product we ever purchased. Definitely spendy, but you will get your money's worth. Anyway, not to be a blogging commercial or anything. :) Your doctor sounds great! Hope you are well and enjoying your precious family.
Take care!
Debi (Tognazzini) Stabler